, , , , , ,

There's Light at the End of the Tunnel.


I'm writing this in advance of exam week, so by the time you read this I will be in the process of wading through a mire of timed essays and visuals, finishing up on Friday. This post is a little reminder to myself to keep my chin up and think about what lies on the other side of Finals. Here's a list of the summery things that are keeping me going this week.

The big chill (out).
I'm really looking forward to feeling like I'm not wasting time when I enjoy a lie in, watch TV or films, spend time with family/friends/A, or sit down with a book. I always love the feeling, post-exams, of not having any work to do at all. This time will be extra special. No exams ever again! Heaven. 

Reading!
This is a big one for me. There's a couple of Amazon brown boxes sitting beguilingly in the corner of my room, waiting to be ripped open this weekend, which I have renamed 'Bookmas'. (Yep.) These tempting packages contain such literary gems as Donna Tartt's The Secret History, Hugh Howey's Dust and Sarah Lotz's The Three. I'm dying to read them. I was also lucky enough to win a Kindle through a competition hosted by the lovely Lucy at Fashion Me Now a couple of weeks ago and I can't wait to get it set up and get downloading. 

Re-acquainting myself with the kitchen.
It might sound a bit silly, but I really can't wait to start experimenting with recipes again. My cooking of late has been of 'the faster the better' school of thought, and I've lined up some fun recipes from other blogs to try. In particular I want to try and find some that my family will enjoy, as I don't cook dinner for them very often!

May Week. 
I've probably gone on about this before, but this is the biggest event in the Cambridge student's social calendar. The first thing to note is that paradoxically it's actually in June. Traditional names die hard, and May Week is completely built on tradition. The week entails a proliferation of extravagant black-tie balls, lots of dress envy, an endless supply of Pimms and strawberries at garden parties, and seeing the sun come up over college spires (the photo at the top was sunrise at Clare College May Ball in 2012). Yes, the Daily Mail absolutely lap it up when they manage to snap pictures of inebriated 'privileged' students stumbling home in the early hours of the morning, but it really is a lovely way to celebrate finishing a hard year's of work. As the old adage goes: Keep Calm And Think Of May Week. 

Getting my theatre fix. 
June is going to be theatre-centric for me. I'm going to see In The Heights at Southwark Playhouse next week. It's had incredible reviews from The Stage, Time Out and more, and looks set for a West End transfer. A knows a couple of the guys in the production team, so we're pretty sure it's going to be our cup of tea! Then I'm hoping to go and see the Footlights here in Cam before graduation. And on that note...

A's Birthday. 
A's been fantastically supportive all through the pre-exam period, cooking me lots of tasty meals and most importantly helping me to stay sane. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve for his birthday in June. 

Leaving the Bubble for pastures new. 
I've called Cambridge home for four long years, and at the end of next month I'll finally be graduating. I will probably cry, though whether my tears will be ones of sorrow or relief is currently undetermined. Then I'll be moving back to London to start The Great Job Internship Hunt. I feel like I'm ready for this next stage of my life, however hard it may be. 

We're all going on a summer holiday.
Well, A and I are, anyway! It'll be our second holiday after going to Oslo in January. This time we'll be going to Paris, just before Bastille Day! It's one of my favourite cities, and I can't wait to introduce A to it. I'll obviously take him to some of the touristy spots, like the Tuileries, Eiffel Tower, Louvre and possibly Versailles. If you can think of any lesser-known or hidden gems in Paris, such as a brilliant little café, museum or green space you've happened across there, please comment below - I'd love to hear your tips!

See you all on the other side!

Follow me on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Instagram | Wordpress for more adventuresome fun!

Post a Comment